Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Whio's Wild Self

We used the build your wild self website to create our own animal from our own choices of  animal adaptations.
This is a picture of what we created!

Here is a list of its adaptations;
Palm cockatoo crest - Your palm cockatoo crest is more than decoration. It helps you communicate too. A raised crest can signal to other birds that you're a friend.

Polar bear ears -It gets cold in the Arctic (down to 35°F below). For warmth, your polar bear ears are small and covered in fur even on the inside. When diving, the ears close to keep cold water out.

Indian rhinoceros horn - Your Indian rhino horn is made of keratin, the same material as your fingernails. Unfortunately, rhinos are endangered because people poach them for their horns.

Baringo giraffe hoofs - Your Baringo giraffe hoofs are big and tough. They can grow to be the size of large dinner plates and are strong enough to take out a lion with one kick.

Chilean flamingo legs - ou'd think flamingos stand on one leg by locking their knees. But those are actually their ankles. They stand like that to conserve energy. How long can you stand on one leg?

Radiated tortoise shell - Why is your Radiated tortoise shell shaped like a dome? Scientists think the shell's shape helps tortoises flip over whenever they get stuck on their back.

Peacock male tail - Your peacock tail feathers can grow to be 60 inches long. Each feather has what looks like an eye on it. They help scare away other animals that might want to eat you.

Have a go individually and take note of the adaptations and the reasons they are useful.

3 comments:

  1. An amazing creation. I learnt heaps about the different animals it is made of as well. Isn't this a very innovative way to teach stuff about animals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What interesting creatures you Whio Pupils are! I particularly like the polar bear ears. I wish I had those in the winter-all furry and snuggly on the inside!
    Ms Hampson

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. I loved your blog site.
    amazing all the activities that you have done.
    I think I might like to design an animal for me.

    The korus are so creative.
    You are all unfurling your talent.

    if I was in Nelson I would visit the museum.

    I am in Ireland. My grand daughter Robyn 4 (she just typed her name)
    loved the haka.
    She has just come into my bed as it is morning here. We are opposite to you, morning when you are night time, and we are spring to your autumn. The school year starts in September and Robyn will go to school then. She will not be 5 until Feb but they all start at beginning of the term.
    thanks for your wonderful blog.
    from Karen Moynagh.
    I am Leigh's aunt

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for writing a comment. All comments will be sent to me first to check whether it is suitable for posting. Please make them appropriate for viewing.